Samsung investigates claim of exploding Galaxy S III smartphone in Ireland
Photo of burned Samsung Galaxy S III posted online by Boards.ie user Dillo2k10
Samsung is investigating the claims by an Irish user that the Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone exploded in the userís car while driving.
In a post on the Boards.ie website, a user by the name of Dillo2k10 wrote: "So I driving along today with my Galaxy S3 in my car mount when suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone. I pulled in to look at my phone, the phone burned from the inside out. Burned through the plastic and melted my case to my phone. The phone kept working but without any signal."
The user also posted a photograph of the device post-explosion and shows melted, burned plastic right next to the USB charging port.
According to the user, the device was contained in a dock but was not connected to any kind of charger.
"There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung Galaxy S III that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device," Samsung wrote in its official blog Samsung Tomorrow. "Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question.
"Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously."