Video conferencing and collaboration on the move are the promise of the new Android-based tablet PC from Cisco – the first tablet to be released since Apple’s iPad – which the networking giant revealed yesterday.
The Cisco Cius, hailed as a first-of-its-kind mobile collaboration business tablet, delivers virtual desktop integration with anywhere, anytime access to the full range of Cisco collaboration and communication applications, including HD video.
It is an ultra-portable device weighing just 1.15lbs that extends the productivity benefits of Cisco collaboration applications to a highly secure mobile platform.
In addition to full telepresence interoperability, Cisco Cius offers HD video streaming and real-time video, multi-party conferencing, email, messaging, browsing, and the ability to produce, edit and share content stored locally or centrally in the cloud.
Based on the Android operating system, Cisco Cius is an open platform for communication and collaboration whose form factor and applications are designed to more securely connect employees on-the-go with the right people in real time, and to provide those workers with the ability to access and share the content they need from any place on the network.
Cisco Cius offers IT professionals new options when it comes to equipping mobile workers with computing devices. Through virtual desktop integration, Cisco Cius offers flexible computing options with cloud-based services, providing dramatically lower capital costs and cost-per-user for desktop maintenance.
Businesses can also tap into the growing Android developer community that is building business-class productivity applications with appropriate IT controls. The combination of applications and flexible computing options provides a compelling alternative to today’s PC-on-every-desktop paradigm.
· The Cisco Cius is a lightweight, portable business computing tablet offered with an optional HD audio station equipped with a telephone handset speakerphone, HD DisplayPort and USB ports.
· The Cisco Cius tablet features a front-mounted 720p HD camera which refreshes at up to 30 frames per second; a 7-inch, high-resolution widescreen super VGA touch-target display for real-time and streamed video, and single-button TelePresence interoperability that can be utilised either when the tablet is docked, or being used remotely via Wi-Fi.
· The tablet has a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera that can transmit streaming VGA quality video and capture still images, and dual noise-cancelling microphones for audio conferencing.
· Cisco Cius features an eloquent contacts-driven user experience, designed to enable users to quickly reach their important contacts.
· An on-board accelerometer readily orients applications for viewing in portrait or landscape modes as the user rotates the device to their preferred viewing orientation
· Cisco Cius supports 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi for enterprise campus mobility and 3G cellular services when off-campus. 4G services will be available at a later date. Bluetooth and Micro-USB means users can work untethered and share data with a PC.
· A detachable and serviceable battery offers eight hours life under normal usage.