Apple is understood to be investigating reports that a 23-year-old woman died last week after being electrocuted by her iPhone 5.
The woman, Ma Ailun from the Xinjiang region in China, is alleged to have been electrocuted as she answered her iPhone 5, which was being charged at the time.
Ma, a flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, is understood to have collapsed and died after the incident.
A tweet by her sister on Sina’s microblog alleging the iPhone 5 electrocuted the young woman went viral in China.
“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family,” Apple stated.
“We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter.”
This isn’t the first time that people in the Asia region have been injured or electrocuted by faulty mobile devices, due to a thriving counterfeiting economy where identical products are sold with fewer quality checks.
However, it is believed Ma’s iPhone 5 was purchased in December and was still under warranty.
Buy your tickets now!