We’ll be watching Apple’s ‘Spring Forward’ event in California where the tech giant is preparing to make the leap into haute fashion with the Apple Watch, as well as a rumoured new MacBook Air and 12-inch iPad.
The way Apple CEO Tim Cook described it at the big reveal last September, with the new Apple Watch “it’s hard to know where the software ends and the hardware begins”.
So is the Apple Watch a fashion accessory, an actual watch or a computer? We’ll put our money on it being the fourth screen of your digital life, whereby it will funnel information to save time and allow you to do other things, such as unlock cars, pay for stuff and open hotel room doors.
The launch of the watch, it is rumoured, will be accompanied by new product announcements that include a new iOS operating system, a 12-inch iPad, a newly designed MacBook Air with Retina and potentially some news on the Beats front. There have even been rumours that rock band Muse will be playing at the show.
After 10am San Francisco time (5pm IST), we will all know the truth.
What we do know:
- The Apple Watch will come in 38mm and 48mm configurations, but either size can be worn by men and women
- Apple has been hard at work on its apps ecosystem and companies from Twitter to BMW and Starwood Hotels have been prepping ingenious apps with all kinds of capabilities, including opening hotel and car doors.
- The Apple Watch can be used as a payments token to be used in conjunction with Apple Pay.
- It will come in three main models: the bog standard Apple Watch, the Apple Watch Sport and the Apple Watch Edition
- There are lots of different materials involved and the devices can come cased in steel, DLC-coated steel, aluminum, grey DLC-coated aluminum, rose gold or yellow
- There are going to be six different types of straps and bracelets in a variety of colours
To help you catch all the details, keep an eye on our Twitter stream where we will update you with the facts as we have them: