There are now more than 1bn people using Facebook every month, the social network’s CEO Mark Zuckerberg confirmed today. Yes, you read correctly – 1bn people!
Zuckerberg started the social network eight years ago from a dorm at Harvard University. Initially it grew within the Harvard campus before spreading to other campuses across the US, eventually becoming a global phenomenon.
Writing on his Facebook profile today, Zuckerberg said: “This morning, there are more than 1bn people using Facebook actively each month.
“If you’re reading this: thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving you.
“Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life. I am committed to working every day to make Facebook better for you, and hopefully together one day we will be able to connect the rest of the world too,” Zuckerberg wrote.
Since its launch Facebook has seen:
- 1.13 trillion Likes
- 140.3 billion friend connections
- 219 billion photos shared
- 17 billion check-ins
- 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times that’s about 210,000 years of music
- 2.45 billion content items and 2.7 billion Likes are shared every day on Facebook
- More than 300 million photos uploaded daily
Fireworks image via Shutterstock
Get your early bird tickets now!