An ‘external energy source’ has been blamed for an ‘exploding Galaxy S III’ claim by an Irish user more than a month ago, a Samsung investigation has revealed. The user has since withdrawn his claim and it appears the cause of the heat damage was someone placing the device in a microwave oven.
Last month we reported Samsung was investigating the claims by a Boards.ie user by the name of Dillo2k10 who claimed his Samsung device exploded while he was driving along in his car.
According to Samsung’s blog Samsung Tomorrow, the Korean company contracted Fire Investigations UK (FIUK), an independent third-party organisation, to determine the exact cause of the damage inflicted on a GALAXY SIII unit, which had allegedly been affected by heat.
The user claimed he experienced a sudden white flame, sparks and a bang and posted images on Boards.ie of the device after its purported explosion.
Samsung took the claims seriously and the FIUK investigation revealed in the end the following: “The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device” and “the device was not responsible for the cause of the fire.”
Additionally, the investigation results state: "The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner’s damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave."
Below is the users’ ‘retraction’ of his claim and he describes the whole episode as a “stupid mistake.”
Buy your tickets now!