After a slow start last month 1,380 jobs in STEM roles were announced across a dozen or so companies in April, with half of that total outside of the capital.
Meath and Waterford were the big winners in April, with Shire and OPKO revealing plans to hire 600 people between them. Elsewhere, Dublin, as usual, received a sweep of jobs news, with Hubspot’s 320 positions at a new office the stand-out story.
Biotech giant Shire is setting up shop in Piercetown, currently building a new 120-acre site for its 400 future workers. The roles will consist of highly-skilled, full-time jobs in the areas of R&D, operations, technical staff, engineering and construction.
Jobs in Ireland
“Ireland is a strategically important location for Shire, providing both excellence in life science R&D and manufacturing,” said Tim Kelly, Shire’s senior vice-president of technical operations, while revealing a further 700 construction roles will be created to build the site.
“We already have a strong team on the ground in Ireland and believe that it is the right location for us to build a new state-of-the-art facility that will complement our existing manufacturing operations in the US.”
Meanwhile, 200 highly-skilled jobs are to be created at the Waterford-based healthcare company OPKO Health as part of the future expansion of the EirGen Pharma facility in Westside Business Park.
Founded in 2005 by two former Ivax Pharmaceuticals executives, Patsy Carney and Tom Brennan, EirGen Pharma was acquired by the multinational OPKO Health in May of last year, and the new parent company now plans on expanding EirGen Pharma’s facility on the outskirts of Waterford city.
Inbound selling and marketing specialist HubSpot’s jobs will bring its Irish operations to close to 500 people, with the new roles at its European HQ at One Dockland Central, which it has dubbed DubSpot.
April’s full jobs announcements:
- Shire to bring 400 roles to Meath in $400m biotech investment
- HubSpot to create 320 jobs at new offices in Dublin
- 200 roles being created at Waterford medtech firm OPKO
- Search Optics creates 100 new jobs in Dublin
- Intercom creates 100 new positions in Dublin after raising $50m investment
- Slack to create 80 positions at new Dublin HQ
- €55m Merck investment brings 70 new jobs to Cork
- 30 jobs coming to Dublin at workforce solutions firm CXC Global
- Bizimply to double workforce to 28 after €2m funding
- Irish IoT SME Endeco to hire 26 staff following €3.3m ESB investment
- New Dublin Pure Storage EMEA centre will allow it to double workforce
- Ralph Lauren opens e-commerce hub in Dublin with 8 positions
Biotech image via Shutterstock