Do you cringe at typos? Are you constantly fighting the good fight for correctly-placed apostrophes? Do you know your complimentary coffee from your complementary wine? If so, we might have a job for you.
Silicon Republic has an opening for a sub-editor to work in-house as part of our busy editorial team.
Above all, this role requires supreme mastery of the English language, as you’ll need to write and rewrite copy to a high degree of accuracy and consistency, utilising excellent grammar and perfect spelling.
Silicon Republic is Ireland’s top science and technology website (we have a shelf full of awards to prove it). Do you have what it takes to help our hard-working news team break the latest news on technology, science and innovation with accuracy and precision?
The bullet points
First things first, the absolute requirements for this role are as follows:
- A keen eye for detail and mastery of English
- Excellent writing, copy-editing and proofreading skills (a formal qualification in journalism is preferred for this role)
- Ability to work to a deadline
- Experience using content-management systems (particularly WordPress) and picture-editing software (Photoshop, GIMP)
- Knowledge of media law
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Superb organisational skills
- The ability to work under pressure and as part of a busy newsroom
The ideal candidate for this role will also tick some of these boxes:
- Curiosity and passion for all things tech and science
- Active user of social media
- Experience with audiovisual content
- Talented and enthusiastic with a sharp sense of humour
If you’ve always wanted to work with our fun and dynamic team, now is your chance. Send us your CV along with a cover letter explaining what it takes to be a great sub-editor.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight (IST) on 25 August 2016. We’ll contact successful applicants directly to arrange interviews and testing of those meticulous editing skills.
Looking for jobs in tech or science? Check out our Employer Profiles for information on companies hiring right now.
We’re hiring image via Shutterstock