We’re looking for a new junior reporter to join our Careers team. Could it be you?
We’re on the hunt for someone to work with our Careers editor, and the rest of the editorial team, as a junior Careers reporter.
The Siliconrepublic.com Careers channel is a fast-growing platform that keeps the sci-tech workforce informed on jobs available in STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) as well as advice on how to upskill and grow their careers. We also highlight issues such as the need to increase diversity and inclusion in STEM, and the initiatives built to tackle this challenge.
This will be an entry-level role with a salary of €25,000 per year. It’s a natural fit for recent journalism, communications or media graduates, and those looking to take their first step in a media or publishing career, though all applications are welcome.
Who should apply?
We’re looking for someone who understands great storytelling through online media. Someone with a good nose for a story who can be proactive in generating great ideas and commercially driven content. Someone who’s able to tell the difference between a news article and a feature, and knows when each is best.
Content editing is a key component of the role, so an exceptional command of the English language is a necessity.
The successful applicant will engage in on-camera interviews, so experience with audiovisual content and the confidence to hold your own in discussion with industry leaders would also be of benefit.
You will have to be:
- Passionate and curious about all things tech and science
- Meticulous about spelling and grammar
- Incredibly attentive to detail
- Highly organised
- Comfortable in client-facing situations
- Able to work to a deadline
- Able to work under pressure in a busy newsroom environment
We would like you to have:
- A qualification in journalism, media or communications
- A proven track record of excellent writing and interviewing skills
- Proofreading experience
- Experience with audiovisual content
- Knowledge of media law
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Experience using content management systems (particularly WordPress) and photo-editing software (Photoshop or GIMP)
The ideal candidate will also be:
- A voracious consumer of online media
- An active user of social media
- Talented and enthusiastic, with a sense of humour
If this sounds like you, and you want to come and work with a fun and dynamic team, send us your CV along with a cover letter explaining why writing about STEM careers would interest you.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight (IST) on 27 August 2017. We’ll contact successful applicants directly to arrange interviews and writing tests.