Individuals with a knack for technology and creative thinking can pull in six-figure salaries from six jobs, research from Robert Half Technology and The Creative Group reveals.
High demand for these professionals is behind the high salaries, as organisations strive to enhance their digital presence and boost investments in IT infrastructure.
"These highly specialised positions help companies implement essential projects, such as improving and securing the firm’s online presence across platforms, or gathering and analysing business data," said John Reed, senior executive director of Robert Half Technology and The Creative Group.
"Employers are willing to pay well for these roles because they allow organisations to take advantage of new technologies and gain a competitive edge."
Following are six technology and design jobs that can pay six figures, although actual salary ranges (US national averages) may vary depending on location:
- Mobile applications developer – As companies strive to reach consumers on mobile devices, they need professionals who can develop applications for the small screens. Average starting salaries for mobile applications developers range from US$85,000 to US$122,500. The midpoint is US$103,750.
- Data security analyst – Staff members who can analyse data security risks, which are always changing, and protect against them, are in demand. These workers can earn US$89,000 to US$121,500, on average. The midpoint is US$105,250.
- Interactive creative director – These individuals lead interactive creative teams, composed of designers, writers and art directors, who together are responsible for visual and conceptual creative direction and user experience. Average base compensation is US$93,500 to US$150,000. The midpoint is US$121,750.
- Business intelligence analyst – Companies need professionals who can design and develop enterprise-wide data analysis and reporting tools as firms aim to gather more information about their customers. Starting salaries range from US$87,750 to US$123,500 for this job, on average. The midpoint is US$105,625.
- Information architect – These individuals help define content strategy and design website features, as well as analyse audiences and their needs, in order to improve architecture and navigation. Base compensation for this position is between US$78,250 and US$116,000, on average. The midpoint is US$97,125.
- User experience (UX) designer – Companies are looking for professionals who can create positive digital experiences, as so much customer interaction happens online. The average starting pay range for a UX designer is US$71,750 to US$104,000. The midpoint is US$87,875.
More information about these positions is available in the Robert Half Technology 2012 Salary Guide, which includes a range of IT positions, as well as The Creative Group 2012 Salary Guide, which focuses on interactive, design and marketing jobs.