Computer giant Dell has unveiled a new 5-inch tablet computer based on Android aimed at providing on-the-go entertainment, social networking and navigation.
Early this June, the Dell Streak will be available across the UK at O2 stores, O2.co.uk, The Carphone Warehouse, and later in the month at Dell.co.uk. Pricing and data plans for the UK will be announced by O2 ahead of availability.
The device appears hot on the heels of the Apple iPad becoming available in the UK and just ahead of other manufacturers like Samsung, which are readying their Android-based tablet devices.
Later this summer, Dell plans to make Streak available in the US. No date has been revealed for when the device goes on sale in Ireland.
About the Dell Streak
The Dell Streak is a compact and powerful companion for people who want to expand their ability to access their digital lives on the go, and realise tomorrow’s technology today.
The spacious 5-inch screen is ideal for experiencing thousands of Android Market widgets, games and applications, all without squinting or compromising portability.
Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and available 3G connectivity brings easy access for downloading and listening to music, updating social-networking status in real-time, and staying connected to friends and family through e-mail, text, IM and voice calls.
On-the-go students, mobile professionals and active families will find Streak’s web-browsing capabilities as natural as a laptop. The screen is large enough to present web pages in their natural form, create a comfortable viewing experience, and make turn-by-turn navigation simple and safe.
The Dell Streak leverages Qualcomm’s Snapdragon solution with integrated 1GHz processor to combine basic functionality, performance, and benefits of a laptop in a pocket friendly size.
“The Dell Streak hits the sweet spot between traditional smartphones and larger-screen tablets,” said Ron Garriques, president, Dell Communication Solutions Group.
“Its unique size provides people new ways to enjoy, connect and navigate their lives.”
The Dell Streak was designed with the future in mind and will support over-the-air updates, including platform upgrades, Adobe Flash 10.1 on Android 2.2 later this year, video chat applications and other software innovations.
Dell is a member of the Open Handset Alliance (OHA), a group of technology and mobile companies working together to accelerate innovation in mobility. Together, the OHA created Android, the first complete, open and free mobile platform to provide people a richer, less expensive and better mobile experience.
Key Features of the Dell Streak
· Integrated Google Map with turn-by-turn navigation, street and satellite views
· A full screen browsing experience with a 5-inch capacitive multi-touch WVGA display
· Easily integrated social media apps: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube
· High-resolution 5-MP camera, VGA front-facing camera, removable battery, built-in Wi-Fi, 3G and Bluetooth connectivity options
· 2GB* of internal dedicated storage provides plenty of space to access and download Google Android Market’s many options
· Packaged with cushions made from 100pc sustainable, compostable bamboo
Specifications of the Dell Streak
· Android platform complete with Android Market and Dell user interface enhancements
· ARM-based Processor: Qualcomm’s powerful and efficient Snapdragon chipset and software platform with integrated 1GHz processor
· 3G + Wi-Fi + Bluetooth
· UMTS / GPRS / EDGE class 12 GSM radio with link speeds of up to HSDPA 7.2 Mbps / HSDPA
· 5-MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash. Easy point, shoot, and uploads to YouTube, Flickr, Facebook and more
· User accessible Micro SD expandable memory available up to 32 GB. Store up to 42 movies or 32,000 photos, or 16,000 songs with 32GB Micro SD
By John Kennedy
Photo: The Dell Streak