Nabeel Rajab, head of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights, is to be questioned by the Bahrani government for publishing doctored images with links to Twitter of a man who died at a detention centre in Bahrain on Saturday.
Rajab believes Ahmed Isa Sager died as a result of the torture he received while in detention, and declares that the images have not been fabricated.
"The deputy adviser for legal affairs at the interior ministry announced that Nabeel Rajab published false images on social media site Twitter of Ahmed Isa Sager.
"The adviser said that the images published were different to those taken of the deceased with the knowledge of the coroner after death," the official Bahrain News Agency (BNA) said.
On Twitter, Rajab maintains his innocence against the accusation.
In one of his latest Twitter posts, he wrote, "Brothers, sisters, if I am arrested I call on you to intensify your efforts to fill the gap created by my absence – I am full of confidence in you and your belief in the righteousness of your cause."
The questioning of Rajab is part of the government’s crackdown against the ongoing democracy protests in Bahrain.
Last month, Bahrain witnessed Shi’ite protesters taking to the streets advocating democratic reform.