The 2013 Realex Fire Web Awards took place last night in the Four Seasons Hotel Dublin, and Siliconrepublic.com walked away with the top technology website prize for the sixth year running.
Damien Mulley’s Web Awards show is known and celebrated for its informality, and last night was no exception, with host Rick O’Shea inviting guests to test their strength and their steady hands at fairground-style games. Popping candy and childhood favourites like Wham and Stinger bars were doled out to keep the crowd in high spirits as the RTÉ 2FM DJ ushered us through the 29 awards of the night.
The event was live-tweeted by many using the hashtag #realexfirewebs and attendees can continue to provide their feedback on the event through Most Innovative Website nominee QTComments.
Comparison website Bonkers.ie was awarded Best Financial Services Website and Best Practice only to take to the stage a third time to accept the Grand Prix award.
The website of the food brand Fusion and Street was named the Most Beautiful Website in Ireland, but it was the winner in a brand-new category – Ugliest Website in Ireland – that received the only standing ovation of the night. RoadSignServices.ie will now receive €4,500-worth of web development funding for the honour, and the owner was sure to thank the site’s designer on the night.
Having been awarded Best Technology Site for five years in a row, Siliconrepublic.com was nominated in the even tougher adapted category of Best Science and Technology Site this year. However, 2013 proved to still be lucky and we are happy to add a sixth Web Award to our shelf.
2013 Realex Fire Web Award winners
- Best Online Publication – sponsored by CFOServices: The Irish Times
- Best Web Only Publication: Cool and Dandy
- Best Daily Web Only Publication – sponsored by Newsletter.ie: Joe.ie
- Best Radio Website: Spin 1038
- Best Independent Podcaster: The Comic Cast
- Best Sports Site: The Journey
- Best Music Site: Nialler9
- Best Entertainment Website – sponsored by Poll Daddy: Brand New Retro
- Best Arts Website: National Association for Youth Drama (NAYD.ie)
- Best Science and Technology Site – Sponsored by BH Consulting: Siliconrepublic.com
- Best New Web Application/Service – Sponsored by EURid: Niice.co
- Best Website of a Startup – Sponsored by Blacknight: Cuckoo Events
- Best Government and Local Government Website: Bridges of Dublin
- Best Education and Third Level Website: UCD International Office
- Best Student Web Project – Sponsored by National College of Ireland: BetterExaminations.ie
- An Suíomh Gaeilge is Fearr: An Spailpín
- Best Microsite: Break It Down
- Best Financial Services Website – sponsored by Trustev: Bonkers.ie
- Best eCommerce/Services Website – sponsored by Wolfgang Digital: Sex Siopa
- Best SME/Small Business Website – sponsored by CFOServices: Newsaccess
- Best Mobile Site – sponsored by iQ Content: Childline
- Best Responsive Design: The AA
- Best Practice – Sponsored by dotMobi: Bonkers.ie
- Most Beautiful Website in Ireland: Fusion and Street
- Ugliest Website in Ireland – Sponsored by V7: RoadSignServices.ie
- Most Useful Website in Ireland – Sponsored by Martin Insurance Brokers: Hit The Road
- Most Innovative Website: Taggled.tv
- Web Agency of the Year: Kooba
- Grand Prix, Best Website in Ireland – Sponsored by Realex Payments Fire: Bonkers.ie
Buy your tickets now!