From Maths Week and Storm Ophelia to the mysteries of AI and space, the world of sci-tech knows no boundaries.
All your essential weekend sci-tech reading is right here.
1. 32 of Hong Kong’s hottest tech start-ups to watch in 2018
Hong Kong has always been about trade and in the 21st century a coterie of promising start-ups are keeping the tradition. Here’s just a few to sate your appetite.
2. Boost for Ireland’s start-ups as income tax is removed from share options
KEEP scheme will prove to be an important lever for companies to reward and retain staff as war for tech talent escalates.
3. Final three Spark of Genius 2017 finalists going to Lisbon revealed
The search for Ireland’s most high-potential start-up is nearly complete.
4. Extreme-weather app generates 500,000 alerts during Ophelia
Weather app MapAlerter was on call during Storm Ophelia.
5. New research ‘completely changes’ our understanding of the moon
More secrets surrounding the moon’s past have recently been unlocked showing evidence for a ‘significant’ atmosphere.
6. DeepMind team behind AlphaGo wins inaugural ‘Nobel Prize for AI’
For achieving what few thought they could, the DeepMind team behind AlphaGo has been awarded the inaugural ‘Nobel Prize for AI’ by the IJCAI.
7. Lego reveals its Women of NASA series, but ‘hidden figure’ missing
After a long campaign, Lego is to release its Women of NASA set, featuring four of its iconic members – but there’s one noticeable omission.
8. Mate 10 is not a smartphone, it’s an intelligent machine, says Huawei
The Chinese tech manufacturer is pulling out all the stops to swat away competitors – from Apple to Google and Samsung – in terms of claiming the crown in a new epoch for smart devices.
9. Rock and coal: How to become a geologist in 5 easy(ish) steps
If being between a rock and a hard place is your idea of bliss, becoming a geologist might just rock your world.
10. Challenge yourself with these 10 Maths Week brainteasers
Marking Maths Week Ireland’s 12th and biggest year of events to date, we round up some tricky mathematical puzzles for you to solve.