Two promising Irish technology companies – social fingerprinting player Trustev and restaurant discovery app Temptster – have made it to the final 12 of the European Commission-backed Tech All Stars.
The Tech All Stars Final will be hosted in Dublin later this month, on June 19 and 20th, at the Digital Agenda hosted by the European Commission; where the movers and shakers of the tech scene will unveil the tech start-up they voted the best.
The award will be presented by Neelie Kroes, the European Commission Vice President.
Tech All Stars shortlists 12 of the best young European start-ups, inviting them to prestigious business events across Europe and gets them connected to EU funding sources, successful entrepreneurs, and influential individuals. Participants include entrepreneurs and investors like Reid Hoffman, Mark Zuckerberg, and Richard Branson.
“Tech entrepreneurs have the biggest potential to innovate Europe out of fiscal crisis and re-energise the European economy, so fostering their development makes sense on many levels”, Neelie Kroes said recently.
Trustev, which is focused on detecting and defending against fraud in the burgeoning social commerce space, was recently shortlisted in the TechCrunch Disrupt awards in New York. The company is headed by entrepreneur Pat Phelan and its technology is the brainchild of CTO Chris Kennedy and was recently for Telefonica’s Wayra incubation programme in Dublin.
Temptster is a smartphone app, developed by foodservices entrepreneur Ollie Fegan, which allows restaurants and clubs to instantly promote high-value offers on same-day reservations, when not fully booked, or if there is a cancellation.
The app, which was launched in February this year, uses GPS technology to identify the user’s location and display all available offers in nearby bars and restaurants.
2013 Tech All Stars finalists
- Trustev – a “social fingerprinting” system to tackle online fraud
- Infantium– a learning technology that personalises education for children
- Snap Fashion – an online visual search engine for purchasing clothing
- Transmetrics – an IT product that helps transport companies make their networks more efficient
- Temptster – App with instant offers on local dining out and socialising; user recommendations on where to eat out
- Viewsy – location analytics to help retailers better understand customers behaviour in physical space
- Mist.io – a service for managing and monitoring servers across clouds
- EcoChain – an application that calculates the environmental footprint of your products so you can increase profit in a sustainable manner
- CLYC – a digital bicycle lock with key-less functions that connects to your smartphone
- Babelverse – on-demand interpretation of languages available on any device
- SportSquare– a Facebook soccer game startup
- SNTMNT – a tool for capturing and analysing social media buzz for financial markets
Start position image via Shutterstock