Vodafone Ireland scored a hat trick while Blacknight’s Michele Neylon put his company’s social media success down to a personable approach at the second annual Social Media Awards.
The Irish Social Media Awards honour businesses in Ireland that raise the bar for social media use, through Twitter campaigns, branded Facebook Pages, viral videos, and more. While many businesses have been in the social media spotlight for all the wrong reasons – abandoned accounts, deleted comments, ignoring customers, etc – last night paid homage to the companies that are getting it right and setting standards for the rest.
Rick O’Shea hosted the ceremony in a packed Round Room in Dublin’s Mansion House, with entertainment for the audience of 400 provided by Colm O’Regan.
Vodafone Ireland was the big winner on the night, taking home the top prize of the Grand Prix award, as well as awards for its Suicide or Survive video campaign and customer care using social media.
Be yourself – the key to social media success
Hosting company Blacknight marked a second win in a row with the award for Best Blog of a Business, having received Best Business Twitter Account (marketing/sales) at last year’s inaugural event (an award bequeathed to radio station SPIN 1038 at this year’s ceremony).
“We are proud to be the recipients of the Best Business Blog award because our blog is the most important component of our social media campaign. It allows us to have a conversation with our customers about a variety of things that would be helpful to them, from new services to internet security issues,” said Michele Neylon of Blacknight, who believes that being yourself is the key to social media success.
“We hope that what we do inspires other businesses to loosen up a bit and have fun with their customers and what they are doing,” he continued. “So many companies believe that the only way to conduct themselves professionally is to project a traditional business image. We are showing that we can be professional, excel at what we do, and that a successful company can look a lot like us.”
Bord Gáis Energy Social Media Awards 2012 winners
- Best Facebook Page for a Business (non-campaign): National Lottery
- Best Facebook Page for a Business (owner-managed): SPIN 1038
- Best Facebook Page for Non-Profit/Organisation: Cork Opera House
- Best Integrated Facebook Campaign (Page, app and ads): Lidl Ireland
- Best Video/Video Campaign (non-broadcast): Vodafone Suicide or Survive campaign
- Best Blog of a Business: Blacknight
- Best Business Twitter Account (marketing/sales): Spin 1038
- Best Business Twitter Account (support, CRM): Iarnród Éireann and Eircom
- Best Business Twitter Campaign: Buyers Broker – #irishauction
- Best Use of Social Media in an Election: Michael D Higgins – Presidential campaign
- Best Use of Social Media for a Sponsorship Campaign: O2 Ireland – Irish Rugby
- Most Innovative Use of Social Media: Brando Digital – #tweetsweets
- Best Customer Care Using Social Media (integrated): Vodafone Ireland
- Best Use of Social Media by State Body: Fáilte Ireland
- Best Integrated Social Media Campaign: Electric Ireland
- Best Social Media Effectiveness: Lidl Ireland
- Best Online PR Campaign: OMG! Jedward’s Dream Factory
- Best Mobile App (marketing): CarZone.ie
- Agency of the Year: WHPR/Ogilvy
- Grand Prix: Vodafone Ireland
Buy your tickets now!