Tesla’s latest electronic sports car – the Roadster 2.5 – is to debut simultaneously with the opening of two new stores in Denmark and California.
The new Roadster includes improvements in both design and technology, including a new front fascia, rear diffuser, improved seat comfort and internal finishes, sound dampening and a large touchscreen navigation system.
The move comes just days after Tesla floated on the Nasdaq stock exchange, ending the day with the stock value up 40pc to US$23.89, up US$6.89 from the initial offering price of US$17, giving the company a market value of US$2.2bn.
“Although development of the Model S is our main focus, this shows that we still care a great deal about improving the Tesla Roadster,” said Tesla CEO Elon Musk.
“These improvements are a direct result of customer feedback and come only a year after release of Roadster 2.0, showing an exceptionally rapid pace of innovation.
“Where feasible, we will also offer existing customers the ability to purchase the upgrades now available in version 2.5.”
New features in Roadster 2.5 include:
- A new look, which includes a new front fascia with diffusing vents, and rear diffuser reflecting the future of Tesla design.
- Directional forged wheels available in both silver and black.
- New seats with improved comfort, larger and more supportive bolsters and a new lumbar support system.
- Power control hardware that enables spirited driving in exceptionally hot climates.
- An optional 7″ touchscreen display with back-up camera.
- Improved interior sound reduction, including new front fender liner material that make the cabin even quieter.