The US Consumer Product Safety Commission has formally ordered the recall of 1m Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones after 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage in the US.
The US Safety Commission said that Samsung received 92 reports of batteries on the Note 7 overheating in the US, with 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage, including fires in cars and a garage.
“Consumers should immediately stop using and power down the recalled Galaxy Note 7 devices purchased before September 15, 2016,” the Commission said.
“Contact the wireless carrier, retail outlet or Samsung.com where you purchased your device to receive, free of charge, a new Galaxy Note 7 with a different battery, a refund or a new replacement device.”
Samsung said it was cooperating with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, adding: “Since the affected devices can overheat and pose a safety risk, if you own a Galaxy Note 7, it is extremely important to stop using your device, power it down and immediately exchange it using our US Note 7 Exchange Program.”
Samsung is offering an exchange of the device for a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge, as well as the replacement of accessories. Consumers who exchange the device will also get a $25 gift card.
Watching Samsung’s dreams implode
What was meant to be Samsung’s return to form as a leading smartphone maker has turned into a nightmare for the company, and this is likely to impact on earnings later in the year.
Two weeks ago, reports started surfacing of exploding Note 7 devices and, within a day of the reports, Samsung confirmed it was suspending its sales of the Note 7, citing a battery cell issue.
Last week, Samsung launched an exchange programme for the Galaxy Note 7 in the UK and Ireland.
It has since issued a software update that caps recharging of the device at 60pc battery level.