8 June marks an important day for more than 70pc of the planet as it ushers in the arrival of World Oceans Day; a day in which the wonders and mysteries of the deepest oceans are revealed.
As far as days highlighting important social issues, World Oceans Day is a relative newcomer to the scene, having first been proposed back in 1992 during the annual Earth Summit, which was held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil that year.
However, it would take a further 16 years before it would be recognised officially by the United Nations and is now heavily orchestrated by both The Ocean Project and the World Ocean Network as a day to highlight the many, many issues that currently affect the world’s oceans, most notably the waste that is put into them a daily basis.
Thankfully, the last few years have proven to be very successful in terms of raising awareness, with the internet once again playing its part in highlighting not only the statistics that threaten our oceans, but also the spectacular beauty and weirdness that exists beneath the murky depths.
This year’s theme is ‘Healthy oceans, healthy planet’, which again raises specific issues that still threaten these vast expanses of the planet, including over-exploitation, illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing, and destructive fishing, among others.
To mark the day, here are 10 incredible gifs showing the beauty and, in some cases, downright weirdness, of marine life.
1. The amazing ctenophora that is literally brilliant
2. This puffer fish looks to be having a super time
3. Behold, the coral of the Great Barrier Reef
4. The familiar but graceful aurelia aurita (common jellyfish)
5. The fuzzy-looking echinoderm
6. More jellyfish. Scratch that, a lot more jellyfish
7. A sperm whale photobombed a recent marine research crew to say hello
8. Feeding time for just about every creature in the sea
9. Ladies and gentlemen, the pom-pom crab
10. The sea can be a rather colourful place
All gifs via giphy.com
Crashing wave image via Pedro Martín/Flickr